Tuesday, January 12, 2010

f_t_re

so here it is, in all its rough edges.

what i learned: this is a good exercise, but it might not be more than that on some weeks. it feels good to try. it feels good to write. i believe in practice and that quantity may eventually breed quality. i am a recording novice too. sounds like i'm at the end of a tunnel. i'm expecting that will get better too.

this started with the first line of lyrics on saturday morning. the chords were like a pubescent teen; indecisive, temperamental and still, they're unsatisfied and begging for a new haircut.

lyrics are a little disjointed, but i like some of them. the ending is my proudest rhythmic moment, but a little dramatic. long live hypercriticism! goal for next week: less crypticism; simplicity.

college makes you talk about someday so often, and lately someday has felt like a place i'll never reach, or worse, will reach, and it will beat me up with the unexpected. i guess i just haven't felt ready for a sucker punch in the gut quite yet. so, i think it's aptly titled:



f_t_re
sprawled out like a dirty word
on a downtown wall.
i'm not looking up
at your heavy handed scrawl this time.
you can hang over my world,
but leave me behind.

lately i've been talking in hushed tones
frightened that i'll wake you
from the great unknown.
so sleep
cause your addiction to my mind
is too hard to feed.

insatiable, so bold is your bite.


oh, did i mention this is HARD?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the player isn't working for me, but your lyrical abilities are making me jealous.

Luke Williams said...

The player won't work for me either julia

julia said...

sorry guys. thanks for letting me know and i'll see what i can do. thanks for writing back about it, ranger. i will conquer this. it worked on my home computer, but possibly because i have the file stored there. keep checking back!

Anonymous said...

well done julia, I think you've got a keeper already. The ending is my favourite part.

Luke Williams said...

Fantastic. Ha, the end is my least favorite part. I think Ryan and I should have a duel. Just kidding, nice to electronically meet you, Ryan. But seriously. sabers?

Really great song Julia, I can't wait to keep hearing them! And the recording doesn't sound bad at all, i don't know what you're talking about. I mean, it sounds amateur i suppose, but only in that it's stripped down. It's clean and fairly high quality. I'm even less sure why you're wasting your time recording with me, ha.

Charlotte and Matt said...

i jumped a little when you began the "insatiable is your bite" part. that really got your "the f_t_re is scary" point across! i'm impressed, and exctied to see what you come up with next. i think the challenge may be trying to vary your sound so not all the songs sound the same. i'm not saying that all your songs sound the same, i can imagine for myself that trying to come up with something new in such a short amount of time would be difficult. i think this is a great exercise! you can always rely on EHP for inspiring ideas!

Tom said...

Please keep these new songs coming. I love what you do.

Megan Mecham said...

I AM your biggest fan!!!

Adrienne said...

So different than usual. I like it. I think I'm going to like this year.