Wednesday, August 13, 2008

they don't call it merry-land for nothing


My parents and I recently returned from a trip to Potomac, Maryland, home of Ralph and Barbara Mecham: two of the best people I've ever met. They are witty and interested in our lives and generally joyful people. They have agreed on just enough to keep them happy for 60 years now. My dad once said the Grandma spends half her time speaking her mind and the other half apologizing for what she just said. She's hilarious. Grandpa's got a mind of his own, but a great sense of duty and keen sense of humor. When my parents and I were taking my grandma to the Air and Space museum, I happened to see my grandparents kiss goodbye. It was a sweet little peck that warmed my heart. It was beautiful.

Grandpa's desk. This seemed to sum him up so succinctly that I couldn't resist snapping the picture. Scriptures with copious notes inside on the far left, a book titled "The Case Against Barack Obama : The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate," a book about the Mountain Meadows Massacre and a crossword puzzle on the far right. He can't and won't get away from his love of religion, history and politics. Although we don't always agree, he is well informed and a rather smart man. You're supposed to stop working after you retire, right? Wrong. After 2 years of retirement, Grandpa spends hours in his office daily, reading 5 newspapers and several books. He's always writing a perpetual research paper in his head, as far as I can tell. He still leaves time for light hearted humor. He is the most proficient punster I've ever met. ("For butter or worse" after spilling the butter). Only because it came from his mouth do I smile at this. Good man.

This is one of two more touristy stops we made. My dad loves George Washington's beautiful and spacious Mt. Vernon estate. What's not to love? The back faces the Potomac River, and the inside is spunky and gorgeous. Lime green dining hall: check. He was also a very innovative farmer, drawing up a circular two story barn of sorts, in which wheat was placed on the ground of the top floor and horses were corralled in to walk upon it, smashing the small wheat seeds through the narrow slats in the floor down to the ground level floor while leaving the chaff in the upper level. It was wonderful to re-learn about the man who willfully gave up his power--such rare humility in the face of opportunistic absolute control. We could learn a thing or two from him.

This is our last day in Maryland. My mom, dad, grandma and I went to the new Air and Space museum right near the Dulles Airport. It was awesome. Dad kept dreaming of the plane that carried two passengers from LA to DC in 1 hour 14 minutes ("I'm still sort of fascinated by this one. How come they can't commercialize it?). Always impatient, but always good for a laugh. I love that guy. This is my Grandma Mecham, me, and Mom in front of a gigantic space shuttle.

It was hard to leave the lush green woods, the orchestra of bugs that sang us to sleep at night, and that certain smell that reminds me of Grandma and Grandpa's house. Mostly, it was hard to leave these two people I love dearly. Maryland is on the map in my brain because of them; intrinsically connected to my love of DC, family and laughter. I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

so so so fun! I love the photos...especially the one of your grandpa's desk. I think he and I would get along great and have lots of awesome discussions. next time you go to visit I think I want to come with you, please.