Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Bonesetter's Daughter


This morning I finished a lovely novel entitled The Bonesetter's Daughter, by Amy Tan. I've read some of her other books, but it had been several years. A thoughtful friend remembered how much I had enjoyed The Joy Luck Club and gave me this newer book of Tan's for Christmas. Tan often explores mother-daughter relationships in her novels, but each time the depth of the characters and intricacy of the storyline sweeps the novel away from redundancy. She knows how to break my heart with just the right words in just the right way.
If she's coming across as a sissy, don't be fooled. Tan is also a member of the band the Rock Bottom Remainders--a group of authors, who once a year for one week lead the lives of rock stars. Here is a photo of Tan, far from what you might expect. If this doesn't get you to (or discourage you from) read(ing) her book(s), I don't know what will.

No comments: