Sunday, June 22, 2008

tourrential reign

so i've been on tour with asher in the rye since the 12th, and it's been a nice little dream/nightmare depending. we're now in rexburg, ID. woooo. it has been quite the learning experience. i've been singing with ashlee and playing tambourine, and opening for a few shows as well. sometimes people are there and sometimes people aren't. but still, everything still manages to be hilarious as it so frequently is with ashleberry. another friend of ours, snuffaluffagus has been ruling the stage as well.

things learned: contrary to popular belief, a 4-door ford escort sans a/c with 2/4 functioning windows and 4 people inside is not actually hell....unless we're lost or giving each other the silent treatment. then, fiery darts consume the space in between.

california is officially weed town, USA. fell asleep to a little herb permeating the premises and the gurgle of a bong. (the next day we actually passed through weed, california, so even technically speaking...)

people are kind. free floors. free food. kind words.

having a show every night is fun.

these were my thoughts from two days ago about the entire situation:

6-18-08
Today, when we were driving I was looking at the windmills slowly revolving, dotting the landscape. Ashlee mentioned how she found them "hauntingly beautiful." I agreed to some extent. But when we got to the top of the hill there were more, and at the top of the next hill, still more. I've thought a lot about the lines between novelty and excess. The windmills lost their novelty in numbers. I decided that the novelty of anything wears off when in excess. When the novelty doesn't wear off, it was never about the novelty anyway--it is something deeper, more empassioned, more important. This whole performing thing for me is still coming into shape and sorting itself out, showing me the lines. Novelty or other? I hope other. I feel other. I hope it lasts. I think it will.

2 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Hey! When were you in California?! We are in Sacramento...if you came anywhere near here and I missed you I am sad!

How fun to be on tour!!!

Riot Grrrl said...

Hey Julia, love the blog.
Hope the tour was awesome.