Sunday, December 23, 2007

pretty things

driving isn't usually a pleasant sight. especially when i'm at the wheel. today it was.
i was driving on a busy road when i saw that a young woman's car seemed to be stuck in the middle of an intersection---it was definitely a 1970s something or other. helplessly, she opened the door and looked around. the headlights made her transparent in her vulnerability. within seconds willing people gathered around her car and began to push it through one of the busiest intersections in salt lake city. some of them were wearing suits, some in casual wear, but to see these people come out of the woodwork in a time of need solidified my belief that the majority of people are good. it's just that the bad is so much more obvious. i'll remember the way the warm tears came to me, and i didn't refuse them on an otherwise stark evening.

4 comments:

Melissa Thatcher said...

Confession. I read your blog whenever I need hear someone sort thoughts into words in a way that makes me sit back and smile. Beautiful, delicious words. You don't know me, and this could make for a very awkward introduction one day. But I hope not, because we both know and love Emily Hope, so that somehow makes us "less awkward" then just real, pure strangers. Anyway, I thought it time to fess up and tell you how much I love your writing. Here's to inspiration in cyber space :) Melissa.

Ann Marie said...

Julia! I must say that YOUR writing is beautiful and lovely in EVERY way. I'll be checking in more often. Loves.

Adrienne said...

um yep, I think that was the exact same post. Except in Julia instead of Adrienne.

Anonymous said...

just wanted you two to know that I also had a blog post a long time ago that is thematically similar. kind of? I just want to fit in?

http://www.ryangregson.com/blog/?p=12