The other day I met a lady. She affected me to the point that I would call her a friend. Shuffling through a line of what I consider typical garden center shoppers, she stood out like a beautiful sore thumb.
Imagine: a 70 something woman, in white linen shorts and a striped sleevless blouse. Typical, right? Then imagine upon greeting said 70 something woman, she has blown a bubble the size of her face and pops it back into her mouth just in time to say she is doing well. She talked about how much fun bubble gum is, and I fullheartedly agreed. She got on her bike to leave. Remember, this is said 70-something woman we're talking about. I love that she rocked a Schwinn cruiser instead of a Buick. "I love to ride. I bike as much as I can. My doctor said walking is better for my bones, but I just can't resist a good ride. I love it." She said it with such enthusiasm that my soul brimmed over with joy. Then, she plopped a giant bag of bubble gum on the counter and said, "Do they let you chew bubble gum at this job? Take a few, and some for your friends." This lady let me have 5 gumballs. I was sold. Coolest lady ever.
All it took was a happy little woman to wake me up from the monotony of the day. It only took 5 gumballs. It took, but oh how it gave. I hope she wanders down the lanes of my mind on her bicycle on days when I simply don't want to try anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment